Reading is an essential skill for children and plays a role in so many aspects of life. Reading helps improve communication, vocabulary, and grammar skills. It also serves as a valuable platform to educate your children on various topics. For instance, dental books can help teach your children about oral health. This doesn’t mean that you should grab a book intended for an adult or dental professional and expect your child to get the information they need. Dental books tailored to children can teach your kids about their oral health through compelling storytelling, imagery, and photographs.
7 Great Dental Books for Children
Whether you are trying to help calm your child’s anxiety, help them develop a love of reading, or help them learn more about best practices for their oral health, there are many excellent books on the market that you might like to look into. The We Make Kids Smile team has put together a list of some of our favorite books to help you and your child learn more about teeth and how to care for them. We hope you’ll like our reading list for kids as much as we do!
- The Tooth Book by Dr. Seuss is full of rhymes and illustrations that educate children on which animals have teeth and how they use them. The book also briefly discusses how to care for teeth.
- My First Visit to the Dentist by Eve Marleau is the story of a young boy who visits the dentist and learns how to take care of his teeth.
- The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist by Stan and Jan Berenstain is a great story that can help calm your child’s nerves about their first trip to the dentist. Your child will read the story of Mama, Papa, Brother, and Sister Bear making their way to the kids’ dentist to get their teeth checked for cavities. During their visit, they get their teeth cleaned and receive a fun education on their pediatric dentist’s tools to keep their teeth clean and healthy. This book also comes with 50 bonus stickers that can keep your child occupied for hours.
- Brush, Brush, Brush! by Alicia Padron will teach your child that it’s never too early to start learning proper oral care habits. This book is full of delightful and engaging photographs and illustrations to keep your child entertained and interested.
- Sugarbug Doug: All About Cavities, Plaque, and Teeth by Dr. Ben Magleby is the story of sugar bugs. These pesky little bugs make it their business to destroy teeth and create stinky breath. Your child will learn where sugar bugs come from and will be encouraged to make better food choices that will be healthier for their teeth.
- Brush Your Teeth Please by Leslie Mcguire is the perfect dental book for kids who love animals. Complete with a shark who flosses its teeth every day and a chimp who wants to brush his teeth with you, this delightful pop-up book will teach your child about proper dental hygiene.
- The Night Before the Tooth Fairy by Natasha Wing is the sweet tale of a young boy and his tooth that just doesn’t want to come out. If your child is anticipating a visit from the tooth fairy but is afraid of their tooth falling out, then this story will be perfect for them.
While your child is busy reading up on teeth through their selection of dental books for children, parents and caregivers may appreciate the opportunity to read a few books as well. So don’t worry, we have a list of options for parents too! And if you’re an educator or public health advocate, you’ll especially appreciate these books.
- Your Child’s Teeth by Evelina Weidman Sterling and Angie Best-Boss provides excellent insights for parents, including the impact of pacifiers and thumbs on young teeth, how to brush your child’s teeth properly, how to calm a child with fear of the dentist, how medical problems affect teeth, how dental sealants and fluoride rinses work, how to help differently-abled children get appropriate dental care, how a root canal is conducted, and how to decide on orthodontics for kids. This book provides everything a parent needs to help their child develop oral health habits that will last a lifetime.
- Teeth: The Story of Beauty, Inequality, and the Struggle for Oral Health in America by Mary Otto is perfect for educators and public health advocates. This book shares the journey of how teeth play into social mobility. It shares the story of an up-and-coming beauty queen that was long-ago awarded thousands of dollars of free cosmetic dental care. It also tells the story of a young boy in Baltimore who died from complications of an untreated abscessed tooth.
Dental Books for Children Can Help Prepare Your Child for a Successful Dental Checkup
The team at We Make Kids Smile is happy to help you and your child have an excellent patient experience. To schedule an appointment for your child in Waldorf or Prince Frederick, MD, contact our office today by phone or request an appointment online. We look forward to talking to you and your child about what you learned in your dental books!