Children consume information in a variety of ways. And in this world of digital proliferation where screens are in abundance — smartphones, iPads, tablets, eReaders, and more — video content is a surefire way to gain a child’s attention and land a message. If you’re a parent seeking resources to educate your child on dental health and the importance of proper oral hygiene, we’ve made it easy for you. The We Make Kids Smile team has put together a list of more than 10dental health videos that are engaging and entertaining.
10+ Dental Health Videos For You and Your Kids
If your child learns best from video content or you find that a video is the only way to keep them engaged, try playing one or two of these videos periodically to help your child gain better insight into the importance of their dental health. These particular videos serve as educational activities for children and help build their knowledge of taking charge of their oral health.
- What Causes Cavities? (Mel Rosenberg) – This five-minute video shares how a team of archeologists came across 15,000-year-old human remains and discovered that the teeth in those remains were full of holes. This shows that cavities have been around for far longer than we may have previously realized.
- Prevent the Invisible Nasties (ColgateⓇ) – This very brief video shows the importance of fending off those invisible nasties by replacing your toothbrush every three months. Since germs and bacteria grow on toothbrushes, you must replace your toothbrush several times per year.
- What Causes Bad Breath? (Mel Rosenberg) – Told like a story around a campfire, this video is under five minutes and explains the causes of halitosis (bad breath) and why it’s so unpopular. Learn what you can do to rid yourself of bad breath when it finds its way into your mouth.
- Life Stages of Oral Health: Ages 13-19 Teen Teeth (Delta Dental of Arizona) – This two-minute video focuses on the oral health of teens between the ages of 13 and 19, as teenagers of any age tend to be subject to far more oral health risks than adults. This true-to-life video reminds teens of the importance of twice-daily brushing and once-a-day flossing. Teens will also see some essential tips on caring for their oral appliances, such as braces and retainers.
- Top 10 Dental Hygiene Tips: Oral Hygiene (Watch Mojo) – This four-minute video provides ten simple tips for teens to improve their dental health. From choosing the right toothbrush and understanding the need to brush for at least two minutes to recognizing the need for fruits and vegetables in your diet, this video will leave your teen ready to make some healthy swaps in their lifestyle.
- 10 Ways to Brush Your Teeth (Life Hacks) – Did you know that there is more than one way to brush your teeth? In just over four minutes, you and your teen will learn ten useful life hacks to help you maximize your tooth-brushing experience and improve your overall dental health.
- Vaping Risks – What Vaping Can Do to Your Mouth (Dr. Joseph Nemeth, Periodontist) – As many parents know, vaping amongst teenagers has increased in popularity in recent years. The use of e-cigarettes amongst teenagers is rising at the fastest recorded rate of any substance. This video speaks directly to the damage caused by smoking and the long-term consequences that vapers can expect.
- What Snus (Smokeless Tobacco) Can Do To Your Gums (Dr. Joseph Nemeth, Periodontist) – Snus is different than snuff in that it comes in pouches, and the user can control the dosage. However, snus can irritate the mouth tissues, leading to oral cancer. Further, chewing tobacco can cause recession of the gum tissue. This video works to lay out the facts so that your teen is armed with critical information about the dangers and consequences of using tobacco products.
- Braces Care Routine (Teeth Talk Girl) – Keeping braces clean is critically important for your teen’s oral health. How you clean braces will impact the way the smile will appear when the braces come off. This six-minute video will tell your teen everything they need to know to care for their braces and teeth the right way.
- 7 Rings – Ariana Grande – Dental Parody (Teeth Talk Girl) – This fun video may have your teen dancing around the house. And, we guarantee that they will come away with some great tips on how to take better care of their teeth.
- Dental Care for Children with Special Health Care Needs – Boston Children’s Hospital – Children with special needs require a certain level of care from a specially trained dentist. This video features the Department of Dentistry at Boston Children’s Hospital and the unique approach to treating children with a wide range of medical and emotional needs.
Dental Health Videos for Children Can Answer Many Important Questions About Dental Health
Here at We Make Kids Smile in Waldorf or Prince Frederick, MD, our mission is to create a comfortable experience for your child and provide them with the tools and treatment for a lifetime of good oral health. If you have questions about anything that you or your child learned in these videos, please be sure to give our office a call. Or, if you require an appointment, you can request an appointment online.
We look forward to talking to you and your child about what you learned in these dental health videos!