When it comes to medical and dental care, various benefits come from establishing consistent care early on. When you see the same highly-qualified medical and dental professionals over time, it’s easier to identify health changes that might not be caught when you switch from provider to provider. For this reason, it’s highly recommended that you create a dental home for your child with a pediatric dentist.
What is a dental home?
When you think of a home, you likely think of a place where you can go and be comfortable. You’re surrounded by people who care about you and have your best interests in mind. The same holds true when it comes to your child’s dental home. Creating a relationship with a pediatric dentist early on helps your child be more comfortable when they go to the dentist. And it ensures that your child’s dentist can establish a baseline and monitor your child’s dental development as they age.
7 Benefits of a Dental Home.
Establishing a dental home helps make the first appointment and all following trips to the dentist a breeze. If you’re looking for a kids’ dentist for your child, consider these seven factors that make a great dental home.
- Accessibility – Once you’ve determined the right pediatric dentist for your child, subsequent trips will be easier. Not only will the payment and insurance process be more straightforward because your details will be on record, but your dentist will also have insight into the goings-on in the community and can advise of any potential dental risks.
- Family-centered – The right kids’ dentist will be dedicated to your child’s and your family’s well-being. They will get to know you and your child as well as your applicable medical history over the years.
- Continuous – Future visits will be able to reference results from your last visit. This means that not only will it be easier to get your child in for an appointment every six months, but your child’s dentist will be able to liaise with your child’s other medical care providers as needed to help ensure holistic treatment.
- Comprehensive – The dentist at your child’s dental home will share insights on the most common dental emergencies and be able to advise on obtaining emergency dental care during off-hours. Not only that, but at your child’s dental home the care manager and primary dentist will be located in the same place. This makes things much more convenient than visits across town for various issues.
- Coordinated – One of the most frustrating things when visiting multiple providers vs. going to a central location is the complications when medical and dental records need to be passed from place to place. This problem goes away almost entirely when you select a dental home.
- Compassionate – Going to the dentist can cause anxiety for some people, especially children. Parents need to know that pediatric dentists are well-trained in how to interact with children and provide right-sized care. Your child will be far less anxious during their twice-a-year trips to the dentist when a relationship is already established and familiar.
- Culturally competent – A dental home in your community will have the ability to communicate with patients in multiple languages, based on languages prevalent in the area. With fewer communication conflicts, significant symptoms and health concerns can be brought to the forefront and conveyed. This means better care for the patient.
Establish one for your child before their first birthday.
The American Dental Association (ADA), the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) suggest that it’s crucial to identify a dental home for your child by the time of their first birthday. Those who have a dental home will receive better and more appropriate preventive and routine oral health care.
From your child’s first dental visit onward, your little one will develop a greater comfort level by seeing the same dentist time and time again. Comfort and familiarity will make the appointment go smoother and will allow your child to trust their dentist. As time goes on, your child will also be better able to share their concerns and any pains or symptoms they are having, indicating a problem that requires treatment.
We Make Kids Smile is the perfect dental home for kids in the Waldorf, White Plains, and Prince Frederick, Maryland areas.
Maybe you’re in the Waldorf, White Plains, or Prince Frederick, Maryland area and are looking for a dental home for your child. We highly encourage you to give We Make Kids Smile a try. We believe that we have everything to offer you and your child to set them up for a lifetime of good oral care and oral hygiene. Request an appointment using our online form or call or text us at 301-206-1993.